When you’re looking to land a new job or just looking to feel fresh and sharp, crisp and wrinkle-free clothing can make all the difference in your life. Although getting rid of those stubborn creases can be a hassle and a half, getting a steam iron might solve this problem for you for good. A steam iron can help you get that fresh-out-of-the-dry cleaner-feel that can help you make a lasting impact on whatever task you're going for.
Steam generating iron is what people nowadays are on the lookout for. This technology is also a great way to enhance doing traditional chores and help one achieve a more easy and convenient lifestyle. A good steam iron is light in weight, comfortable to hold, provides accurate and safe temperatures to prevent the clothes from burning, among other features.
A steam iron is better than a dry iron because a traditional dry iron contains no water tank to generate steam from. While a steam iron contains a water tank along with holes in the soleplate, through which steam gets equally distributed throughout the creases. This helps prevent the need to re-iron the clothes over and over to remove stubborn wrinkles, as you would with a dry iron.
This post is also available in Web Stories and Youtube.
When you’re in the market searching for a steam iron that’s perfect for you, you would need to consider the following features:
- Steam Pressure: A continuous and powerful steam pressure is what you should keep into consideration while selecting a steam iron. An iron with a powerful steam pressure can be used more quickly and will help remove creases more effectively. Ideally, you would want your steam shot output to be over 50g/min.
- Water Tank Capacity: A good water tank capacity helps to aid the iron in maintaining a high volume of steam. It also reduces the amount of times one will need to refill the water tank. A high-volume water tank should be around 0.3 liters or 10 ounces.
- Wattage: A higher wattage will help the iron heat up quicker. It also impacts on how well the wrinkles get removed due to powerful and effective heating up. In the market the wattage of a steam iron can range from 1400-3000 Watts.
- Cord Considerations: Steam irons are available with varying cord lengths, long cords and retractable cords are more popular with the users. Cordless models are also available in the market which are convenient to use, but do require frequent reheating which some users find to be bothersome.
We have created a detailed buying guide below which contains additional features to help you choose the best steam iron for you.
After analyzing and testing different products, we have created a list of the 5 best steam irons below.
Top 5 Best Steam Irons of 2024
Here are the best 5 steam irons.
Rowenta is a well-known and well-recognized brand in the world of steam irons. It is popular among the masses due to its efficient, high quality, and fairly priced products.
Having the outstanding reputation that it does, it comes as no surprise to us that this brand offers us the Rowenta DW5080 which is one of the best steam irons that you can buy in the market right now. This is Rowenta 1700 Watts micro steam iron which contains 400 holes in the soleplate with a steam shot output of 35g/min of steam that helps in providing excellent steam distribution.
It is made in Germany and contains german quality stainless steel soleplate that has a precision tip that allows the steam to smooth those hard-to-reach areas like button areas, collars, etc. The thermostat knob is easy to control and can be adjusted accordingly for a variety of fabrics like cotton, wool, silk, linen, and others. The user doesn’t have to worry about using hard tap water because it contains an Anti-calcium system that removes impurities from the water.
It contains a 4.6 stars rating on amazon by over 18,000 reviewers.
- 1700 watts power
- 400 plus steam holes
- 3 way Auto shut off system for safety
- Stainless steel soleplate with precision tip
- Vertical steaming feature
- Anti-calcium system for tap water use
- Effective anti-drip system
- Requires less power usage
- Good water tank capacity
- Well labeled and easy to use
- Fast heating time
- Excellent steam distribution
- Can be used with hard water
- Auto shut off and anti-drip systems
- Made in Germany
- Requires frequent refilling due to more holes present
- Refill opening is short
- A bit heavier than the average iron
- Slightly expensive
The Maytag M-400 SpeedHeat has been praised by both the average users and experts for its quick heating time, precision thermostat and self-cleaning abilities. It is said to provide good functionality at a fair price. This is an energy-efficient iron that uses just 1400 watts and provides smooth performance and faster results.
This Maytag Speedheat steam iron can heat up to the maximum temperature in less than a minute, which is a lot faster than the other steam irons available. It contains a precision thermostat for common fabrics like linen, cotton, silk, wool, and nylon, so you don’t have to remember the right temperature for a particular fabric, you can just select what fabric you want to iron on the thermostat, it’s that easy! The stainless steel soleplate glides over the fabric in a very smooth fashion and the anti-wrinkle spray helps in efficient removal of wrinkles.
You can also get the tough wrinkles out of the clothes hanging in your closet with the help of its Vertical Steaming function, the soft and comfortable grip of the iron can help you vertically steam your clothes with ease. The anti-scale and anti-calcium systems will help the iron stay in flawless condition and also extend its life.
- Power: 1400 watts
- A fast heating time
- Quick steam regeneration
- Vertical Steam Function
- 8.1 oz tank capacity
- 8ft, 360-degree swivel cord
- A 2-year manufactures warranty
- Anti-calcification and anti-scale technology
- A tangle-free swivel cord
- Steam regeneration in less than 3 secs
- Heats up to maximum temperature in less than a minute
- A safety feature of three-way auto power off
- Easy to understand and control
- Comparatively light in weight
- Stainless steel soleplate
- Energy efficient
- Detachable water dispenser
- Comfortable to operate
- The tangle-free cord is too short
- Low water tank capacity
- The temperature setting spot is below the handle, which can be difficult to view.
The Black + Decker Vitessa Advanced Steam Iron is light on the pocket and contains a host of similar features that can be found in a lot of the high-end steam irons. This steam iron can help you get great results for your creases without having you spend a lot of money.
It can sometimes be hard to store appliances especially when you have a limited storage space, the Vitessa solves this problem by having a retractable cord, which makes it is easier to store and carry around. The cord is spring-loaded and unwinds and retracts back into its compartment quite easily. Making this iron a convenient product.
The Vitessa is a highly rated product because of the various different technologies that have been incorporated in its design. It contains an Even Steam Soleplate Design which aids in providing a continuous flow of steam to allow for better results. The TrueGlide Nonstick Soleplate helps in smoother gliding over the fabric. Safety features have been incorporated in it with it shutting off within 30 secs of it being left unattended on its side and 8 minutes on the heel rest. It has a 4.5-star rating on Amazon by over 2,800 reviewers.
- Even Steam Soleplate design
- TrueGlide Nonstick Soleplate
- SmartSteam Technology
- Vertical Steaming
- Auto shutoff
- Retractable cord
- Easy to use dial
- Adjustable temperature control
- Even and continuous steam distribution
- Non-stick soleplate
- Has an optimal soleplate temperature and steam level
- Vertical steaming for quick touch-ups
- Takes longer to heat up
- Water level hard to determine
This Sunbeam iron has all the features of a high quality and efficient iron and it comes at a great price. The Sunbeam Steam Master Steam Iron is loved by reviewers for its features and considerably lower price. For a low power of 1400 watts and lack fancy features like LED lights, LCD screens, and sensors it is still praised by its users, because of the efficiency at which it does its job.
The users are especially fond of its retractable cord feature, the easy sliding in and coming out of cord is found to be very convenient by its users. This iron has a very attractive and stylish design with a modern and sleek look. It has a beautiful chrome/blue color and is light in weight, weighing in about 3lbs. It also contains a Fabric Select Dial with many options for various different fabrics like cotton, wool, silk, etc. The dials present on the iron are convenient to use and easy to read.
People who love sewing also recommend using this iron for the ease with which it removes tough wrinkles. It sports a steam shot button to release short bursts of steam to smoothen those extra stubborn wrinkles. It uses just 1400 watts of power, making it energy efficient. 76% of the people who reviewed this on Amazon have given it 5 stars.
- 1400 watts of power
- Large stainless non-stick soleplate
- Anti-drip system to prevent leakage
- Three-way auto-shutoff
- Self-cleaning features
- Micro-sized holes on the soleplate
- 8ft. Cord length
- Vertical steaming
- A 3-year limited warranty
- Light in weight
- Great value for money
- Retractable cord
- Good water tank capacity
- Dual spray water outlet
- Anti-drip and anti-calcium systems
- Difficult to see the water level
- Bursts of steam are lower
- The handle gets too hot at times
This Rowenta DW9280 model is also one of the more impressive steam irons available in the market right now. This steam iron comes in a sharp looking stylish design and a blue color. This model contains unique and exceptional features that make it one of our picks for the best steam irons.
One of its unique features is its Powerful steam burst feature of about 210g/min and produces 30% more steam than the average steam iron, which is enough to straighten out those extra hard wrinkles. It uses 1800 watts of power and has 400 steam holes in its stainless steel soleplate which is perfect for ironing out the wrinkles in any kind of clothing fabric. You can also press other household garments like curtains and blankets with this powerful iron. It is a slightly heavier model that comes with a high volume water tank with a capacity of 350ml.
- Power 1800 watts
- 400 steam holes
- Powerful Burst of Steam (210G)
- 3-way automatic shut-off system
- Smart steam motion sensor
- LED ready indicator
- 2.5 meters power cord
- Anti-calcium system
- 350ml water tank
- Can be filled with hard water
- Excellent precision tip
- Quick heat up time
- Incorporates safety features
- Vertical steaming
- High volume water tank
- Heavier than most irons
- High price
- Water level hard to see
Buying Guide for the Best Steam Irons
Now that we’ve gone through some of the best steam irons available in the market right now, we now need to discuss how you can select the right steam iron for you, so when you search the market, you can be sure of what to look for.
Whether you’re on a budget or willing to spend a bit more to get the perfect product It is important to keep a few key features in mind while selecting the best steam iron.
The higher the wattage of a steam iron is, the better it will perform in terms of heat generation. A higher heat generation will lead to effective smoothening of wrinkles.
A variety of different watts are available in the market right now, with low to considerably high wattage. A wattage of around 1400 watts should provide enough power for better heating. Of course, the higher you go, the better the heat up is going to be.
Continuous Steam Pressure
Continuous and steady steam pressure is the most important feature of a steam iron. It is instrumental in getting rid of the creases effectively. Most steam irons do produce good steam pressure but you still need to pay close attention to this while buying one.
Look for an iron that produces a steam pressure of more than 50g/min, this amount is considered a high output and is very likely to give you good results.
Water Tank Capacity
Water tanks present in the steam irons help in producing the steam required. Most water tanks range from 0.27-0.4 liters. A high water tank capacity is ideal because there’s a less frequent need to refill the tank and more is steam generated.
But the tank capacity also depends on the type of usage one has. A person who irons large piles of clothes at once should opt for a higher capacity, while less frequent users can go for smaller sized tanks.
The steam shot is that extra burst of steam that is required to straighten those especially difficult-to-deal-with creases. This feature is also an important consideration while choosing a steam iron.
Definitely look for a steam shot button on the iron while buying, it is that additional feature that doesn’t sound too important, but we can assure you that it is. The steam shot output ranges from 110-340g/min among most steam irons.
Cord or Cordless
You need to decide whether you want the cord or cordless option. While cordless does sound more appealing, it does require frequent reheating and doesn’t work as well on stubborn wrinkles.
For the options containing a cord, you ideally want to look for a retractable cord. Retractable cord steam irons are easy to store and convenient to carry around. You also want to look for a longer cord preferably somewhere around 8ft, longer cords prove to be useful while ironing and don’t get in the way.
Soleplates are available in both ceramic and non-stick stainless steel, with the latter most frequently available and used. The non-stick stainless steel soleplates provide a better glide over the clothes and are more wear-resistant than ceramic plates.
A larger soleplate will also provide better results in getting rid of the wrinkles. Soleplates with more holes provide better distribution of steam. So make sure to keep all of this into consideration while buying yourself a new steam iron.
Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve made the list of our 5 best picks for the best steam irons after considering the various features and pros and cons of those products. You can either choose from one of our best picks or choose your own favorite from the huge market by using our buying guide presented above.
After keeping all the considerations in mind, here are our favorite products from the list:
- Best Overall Steam Iron: Our pick for the best overall steam iron is the Maytag M-400 SpeedHeat steam iron.
- Best Budget-Friendly Steam Iron: The Black + Decker Vitessa Advanced Steam Iron is the perfect budget-friendly pick in our opinion.
- Best Editor’s Choice: For its excellent pricing and impeccable features the Sunbeam Steam Master Steam Iron is our editor’s choice and we highly recommend getting this.