Tired of hearing click-clack sounds from your keyboard over and over again every time you press any key? These sounds become so much more annoying when you are especially trying to get some work done. I explicitly remember doing a university assignment once, that assignment required writing tons of content. I was doing this assignment during the night, and the sounds that my laptop's keyboard was making were so freaking annoying that I had to wear noise-cancelling earphones to get rid of the sounds.
But, the trouble did not stop there.
Since none of the other people in my house was wearing noise-cancelling earphones while sleeping, they constantly told me to stop doing what I was doing because they could not sleep due to the clicking sounds of my keyboard. And, I had to tell them to bear with the sounds this one night as I have to submit the assignment in the morning. The very next day, my search for a quiet keyboard began. I was clearly done dealing with the annoyingly loud keyboard of my laptop.
In my search, I found some really great keyboards that would not even make a single sound in hours of typing. I am pretty sure that I am not the only one who wanted to get rid of the loud keyboard curse. There are a lot of gamers and office workers who are also frustrated by the sounds of their keyboards and need better alternatives. So, I thought I should share the quiet keyboards that I found with everyone else who might be going through the troubles of a loud keyboard like I once was. To do so, I have listed the 5 best quiet keyboards in this article and also reviewed them so the readers can make their own judgements based on the reviews.
But, before you go through the reviews, you need to learn a little about quiet keyboards and know what you should be watching out for when purchasing one.
- Membrane keyboards: Membrane keyboards are slightly inclined and do not require much pressure from you in pressing keys. They are fairly easy to clean thanks to their inclined structure, and also flexible. So, if you are someone who wants a quiet keyboard that is easy to clean and whose keys are pretty easy to press. Then, a membrane keyboard could do the job for you. However, a membrane keyboard is the last resort for gamers because their keys are not the most durable. And, start falling off upon hard pressing. Since gamers love to aggressively press the keys on their keyboards. A membrane keyboard is not their keyboard of choice. Instead, they prefer keyboards with hard-to-press, responsive, and durable keys.
- Chiclet keyboards: There is more than one type of quiet keyboard. The keyboards that you usually see on a laptop are a chiclet keyboard. The chiclet keyboard is flat shaped and more space-efficient than other types of keyboards. The spacing between the keys in a chiclet keyboard is not at all tight. So, the chances of you hitting the wrong key on this type of keyboard are slim. People who love writing fast would prefer it. But, one problem that people find in chiclet keyboards is that their keys are too far inside. And, when you press the keys on a chiclet keyboard, they are not at all responsive. This throws off many people who prefer getting a response from the keys on their keyboards.
- Mechanical keyboards: If you jumped on your chair, and are amazed to know that you can get a quiet mechanical keyboard. Then, I am certain that you are a gamer. Mechanical keyboards are loved by gamers because they are quite responsive, fast, and their keys can take a lot of hard smashing. But, mechanical keyboards come with two caveats, one that their keys require a lot of pressure, and that they are super loud. The loudness factor can be minimized by special mechanical sound damping keys. However, the sound is still there. So, if you want a super quiet keyboard. I am afraid you would have to trade your mechanical keyboard for a chiclet or membrane style keyboard.
Top 5 Best Quiet Keyboard Reviews
In this segment, I am going to list the 5 best quiet keyboards that I found during my research, and then review them one by one so you can get a better understanding of each of them.
SteelSeries has been gaming related PC items for quite some time. And, their products have captured the markets due to their great quality, and design. SteelSeries Apex 7 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard is in no way any different. It has everything and more than a gamer would need.
Firstly, this mechanical keyboard comes with wrist support. Since gamers spend a lot of time tapping on their keyboards, their wrists start to hurt after some time if there is no wrist support on their keyboard. In case, you are doing something that does not require you to have wrist support, you can take it off too. In short, the wrist support of this keyboard is detachable as it is magnetic. Gamers and RGBs go a long way back, and no gaming product is complete without RGBs. Keeping this in mind, SteelSeries has integrated a per-key illumination that lets you make your keyboard keys glow with millions of colour options. The aesthetics do not just end on RGBs though, there is also an OLED smart display present on this keyboard on which you can display different desired content using settings.
As far as the durability of the SteelSeries Apex 7 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard is concerned, it comes with an aluminium alloy metal frame that can last you a lifetime. And, its keys are tested for up to 50 million presses. All in all, this mechanical keyboard is pretty much everything a gamer wants and more. Its price could set this keyboard out of budget for many gamers though.
- OLED smart display.
- Per-key RGB lighting.
- Durable body.
- Keys tested for up to 50 million times presses.
- Magnetic wrist support.
- USB 2.0
- You can display desired content on an OLED display.
- You can choose between millions of colour options for lighting your keyboard keys.
- Its aluminium alloy metal body would last you a lifetime.
- You can press the keys of this keyboard up to 50 million times.
- Wrist support helps your rest your wrist and palm. And, you can also detach this magnetic wrist when it is not in use.
- This mechanical keyboard might exceed the keyboard budget of many gamers.
While most gamers do prefer a mechanical keyboard over a membrane keyboard. There is no denying the fact that no matter what silent keyboard you buy. It will still make some click-clack sounds. And, if a gamer is trying to save his marriage, his only way out is a membrane keyboard as they do not make any noise. Speaking of silent membrane keyboards for gaming, HyperX Alloy Core RGB – Membrane Gaming Keyboard is a great entry for the price. It has everything you need for gaming. It has an RGB strip running all over the keyboard that can be set to six different styles depending on what you are feeling.
The durability of the keyboard is fantastic thanks to its metal design and solid frame. Its keys are also really responsive so will not miss a kill. Speaking of keys, there are shortcut buttons on the keyboard so you can adjust your brightness, media sound, lighting modes without going into the settings of your computer. There is also a button for locking your keyboard so no one can access it while you are away from your gaming station.
And, you can spill your drinks on this keyboard ( not that you should ) but you can as HyperX Alloy Core RGB – Membrane Gaming Keyboard is spill-proof. I remember ruining my keyboard once, I spilt a drink on it while watching a movie, and boy I was mad at myself that day. Glad to know that there are spillproof keyboards for people with clumsy hands like myself.
- RGB lighting with six different modes.
- Durable metal body.
- Shortcut buttons.
- Great price.
- USB 2.0.
- You can run six different lighting effects on your keyboard; Cycle, Spectrum Wave, Breathing, Solid, 5 Zones, and Aurora.
- The body of this keyboard is quite durable.
- You can spill your drink on your keyboard without damaging it thanks to its spillproof technology.
- There are many shortcut buttons to adjust brightness, media controls, lighting mode, etc. You would love its ergonomic design.
- You would not have to go too far off your budget to buy this gaming keyboard.
- Its keys can't take a lot of smashing.
LANGTU Membrane Gaming Keyboard, Colorful LED Backlit Quiet Keyboard is another great option for gamers who are looking for a quiet membrane keyboard. This keyboard comes with an aluminium alloy panel that is built to last. Coming to the keys of this membrane keyboard, they are quite responsive ( no pun intended ) and durable as well. LANGTU has tested them for up to 50 million key presses which are comparable to the number of key presses you can do on a mechanical keyboard. Also, the body of the LANGTU Membrane Gaming Keyboard, Colorful LED Backlit Quiet Keyboard is spill-proof so you will not have to worry about spilling a drink all the time.
It has the favourite feature of gamers which is RGB lights as well. Each key has a rainbow coloured backlight that can be switched off when not in use. The overall design of the keyboard is ergonomic. Due to the inclination, you can reach your fingers to all four corners of the keyboard without much trouble.
There are two colour options available for LANGTU Membrane Gaming Keyboard, Colorful LED Backlit Quiet Keyboard, black and white.
- Durable body.
- Spill-proof body.
- Backlit keys.
- Ergonomic design.
- Tested for up to 50 million key presses.
- Two different colour options.
- Its durable body will last you a lifetime.
- You can spill a drink on this keyboard as it is spillproof.
- Its keys are backlit by 7 different rainbow colours.
- You would not have any trouble reaching the four corners of this keyboard thanks to its ergonomic design.
- You can press the keys of this keyboard up to 50 million times.
- There are two different colour options for you to choose from ; black and white.
With Perixx PERIDUO-610W Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo Set - Silent Scissor Keys & Clicks - Full-Size Chiclet Design, you can get both a keyboard and a mouse. The mouse that comes with this chiclet keyboard is also silent and does not make any loud noises. Coming to the keyboard, it has scissor keys which are both responsive and quiet. These keys are guaranteed for up to 3 million presses which is not that much if we compare it to mechanical and membrane keyboards. So, it is not the best when it comes to durability.
There are also a lot of shortcut keys present on the keyboard which help you perform different functions straight from pressing a single key. Like, you can check your email just by pressing a single key and much more. Also, the keys on PERIDUO-610W Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo Set - Silent Scissor Keys & Clicks - Full-Size Chiclet Design are quite easy to press thanks to its chiclet-style design.
And unlike all of the other quiet keyboards that I have reviewed, PERIDUO-610W Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo Set - Silent Scissor Keys & Clicks - Full-Size Chiclet Design is wireless and can be connected to your PC via Bluetooth. This is a plus point for anyone who carries their keyboard frequently as with this keyboard, they would not have to care about any wires.
- Comes with a wireless mouse.
- Extremely quiet.
- Easy to press keys.
- Shortcut buttons.
- You would not need to buy a separate mouse as it comes with a wireless mouse.
- It is one of the quietest keyboards you can get.
- You will not have to put any effort into pressing its keys.
- Many shortcut buttons let you perform different tasks without you interacting with your PC.
- You can connect this keyboard to your PC using Bluetooth wirelessly.
- You would stay within your budget.
- The keys are not super durable.
Redragon K502 RGB Gaming Keyboard RGB LED Backlit Illuminated 104 Key Silent Keyboard is one of the best gaming keyboards for people on a budget. It does not make any noise while you type. And, you can set its RGB lights to 6 different modes. While using this keyboard, you would not even have to interact with your PC all the time. As some of the tasks can be done straight from the keyboard keys like brightness adjustment, media controls, and more.
Its gold plated USB connector will not take any corrosion for years. Also, long gaming hours can end up hurting your wrists. For this, there is also wrist support on this keyboard that acts as a place for resting your wrist while you game.
- Gold plated USB connector.
- 6 different modes for RGB.
- Super quiet.
- Shortcut buttons.
- Wrist support.
- It has a gold plated USB connector that will not corrode.
- You can use 6 different modes for RGB.
- The keys of this keyboard are super quiet.
- There are shortcut buttons for performing many everyday tasks.
- You will have a place to rest your wrist while you play.
- You would be able to get a gaming keyboard at a great price.
Buying guide for best quiet keyboards
After reading all the reviews of the best quiet keyboards. You are now ready to make a buying decision. And, to make a buying decision. You will need a buying guide so you know what you are buying and why.
So, here is the buying guide for the best quiet keyboards.
You must have noticed in the reviews that we reviewed three different types of keyboards. One of the types was chiclet keyboards. This type of keyboard is mostly used in laptops as they are flat and most space-efficient. Their keys are quite easy to press ( no pun intended, again ) and barely make any noise. They are great for typing for long hours. Some people use them for gaming, too, as they are cheaper. However, one problem that people have with this type of keyboard is that their keys are not responsive. Also, the keys are not that durable.
Membrane keyboards are the most common among PC users. The reason for this is that they are not as expensive as mechanical keyboards and their keys are also not unresponsive as chiclet keyboards and more durable, too. Their keys are fairly easy to press as well. And, membrane keyboards are the most ergonomic because of their inclined structure which lets you access all four sides of the keyboard without much effort. Membrane keyboards are used by gamers who can't afford a mechanical keyboard or want to avoid the noise of the keys of a mechanical keyboard. So, if you are a gamer on a budget or need a super quiet keyboard, then a membrane keyboard could do the job for you.
Mechanical keyboards are what gamers use because of their durability, responsiveness, and sturdy keys. They are the most expensive type of keyboard. You can get one for as high as $ 1,000. But, if you are a person who is looking for a quiet keyboard for regular use. Then, mechanical keyboards are a no go for you. Because they are super loud, there is still some noise in quiet mechanical keyboards, also the keys on a mechanical keyboard require a lot of pressure. And, they are priced a lot higher, too. In short, you are fine with buying a normal membrane or chiclet keyboard if you are not a gamer.
We have compiled a list of the 5 best quiet keyboards after taking a lot of things into account. Now it is up to you if you want to pick your quiet keyboard from our list. Or go out and buy yourself one by following our buying guide.
After keeping everything in mind. We have decided to make things easier for people with a dilemma. And decided to give our best from our best picks. In this way, people who can't make a decision would be able to pick the best quiet keyboard for their PCs without much research. Now, let's look at the products we have chosen.
- Best Overall quiet keyboard: Our choice for the best quiet keyboard is LANGTU Membrane Gaming Keyboard, Colorful LED Backlit Quiet Keyboard.
- Best Budget-Friendly quiet keyboard: In our opinion, Redragon K502 RGB Gaming Keyboard RGB LED Backlit Illuminated 104 Key Silent Keyboard is the best quiet keyboard for people on a budget.
- Best Editor's Choice: Our editors loved SteelSeries Apex 7 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard is the most, and decided to give it the title of best editor's choice.