Facing trouble in taking zoomed shots on your phone or current camera? Well, then a superzoom is what you need to fulfil your love of taking close up shots of birds, trees, clouds, and other objects from a far distance. And, while shopping for a regular is relatively easy as there are a lot of options, and you can test a regular camera far more easily.
However, the same is not the case with a superzoom camera. You often do not have enough space to test out the true potential of a superzoom and end up buying one that sucks. And, I do not want you to end up with a superzoom camera that sucks. That is the reason why later in this article, I have listed 5 superzoom cameras that I have found the best in the game. And, then review the devices so you can have a better understanding of the cameras and also make a judgement for yourself.
But, before you dive into the reviews, it is essential for you to first learn a little about superzoom cameras and what you should be looking for when buying one.
- Image quality: Obviously, when you are buying a camera. The first thing you are concerned about is the image quality. If the image quality of a camera is not up to the mark. That would be a major turn off for any photographer. At the end of the day, you want the pictures coming out of your camera to look good, and sharp. The same goes for superzoom cameras. Some superzoom cameras zoom in really far into a landscape but significantly lose their image quality as you go further. So, although the pictures you get from these superzoom cameras are quite zoomed in, the image quality of the pictures is distorted and not worth posting on your Instagram handle.
- Ease of use: Not all of us looking to buy a superzoom camera are experienced photographers. Let's be real here, most of us do not even know how to properly operate a manual camera. We just want a superzoom to take super cool close up shots with it and post in our Instagram handless to gain more followers. If all of this what I just said is true in your case. Then, an easy to use superzoom is what you should be looking to buy. Because if you end up buying a superzoom camera that is super hard to operate. You would have to give a lot of time and effort watching tutorials on how to operate it that you could have spent taking pictures had you bought a superzoom camera that was easy to operate.
- Size: If you plan on taking photos with your superzoom camera while travelling. Then, you definitely need to buy a camera that you can carry with you easily everywhere you go. Some superzoom cameras have great image quality, features, and everything else. But, they are huge. And, a huge camera is a nightmare to carry during travel. So, when you are buying a superzoom that you have to travel with, make sure that it has all the features you need and is also small in size and easy to carry around.
Top 5 Best Superzoom Cameras Reviews
Now that you have learnt everything that is there to know about superzoom cameras, you are ready to go through the reviews
Sony DSC-HX99 Compact Digital 18.2 MP Camera with 24-720 mm Zoom, 4K and Touchpad – Black is what you need in your life if you need a superzoom camera for taking photos while you travel. I am saying this because it is the world's smallest camera with a 24-720 mm zoom lens. So, you would be able to carry it easily in a bag and would be able to take amazing photos on the go.
Coming to the image quality of this camera, it has an 18.2-megapixel back-illuminated camera that takes amazing pictures. You can also shoot 4k videos from Sony DSC-HX99 Compact Digital 18.2 MP Camera with 24-720 mm Zoom, 4K and Touchpad – Black. If you wish to take photos of people and animals with your camera then the eye-AF feature of this camera is perfect for taking portrait images. It helps the camera focus on the eyes of the subject so the images turn out better. And if you are used to toggling settings on your terms. Then, there is also a manual mode that lets you change the focus and other aspects manually.
Who does not like to take amazing selfies while travelling? And, keeping this in mind, Sony has also attached a 3 inch tilted LCD which can assist you in taking detailed selfies. So, without a doubt, it is the most versatile lightweight superzoom camera you can find. In short, you will be easily able to carry this camera anywhere without feeling left out on any major features.
- 4k video recording.
- 3 inch LCD.
- Remote control tripod.
- Eye AF.
- Control ring.
- You will be able to carry this camera everywhere you go because of its lightweight.
- You will be able to shoot 4k videos with this camera.
- Taking selfies on this camera would be a treat for you thanks to its 3 inch up to 180 degrees titled LCD.
- You will get a remote control tripod with this camera, also a grip and battery kit.
- There is an Eye AF feature in this superzoom camera that automatically focuses on the eyes of the object and helps you in taking fantastic portrait shots.
- You can adjust the focus, shutter speed, and many other features manually using the control ring.
If you are willing to take your photography game up a notch, then Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX10 IV Digital Camera is for you. Its incredible 24-600mm (25x) zoom range in a bright F2.4-4 lens can take advantage of the large 1" (1.0-type) image sensor. So, your zoomed-in photos always come out sharp and detailed. Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX10 IV Digital Camera houses a 20.1 back-illuminated megapixel lens that works at super high shutter speeds.
Moreover, you can shoot videos at up to 24 fps without any pixel distortion at 4k. The most exciting part is that it can shoot up to 960 fps at ultra zoom. Despite all these fancy features loaded in the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX10 IV Digital Camera, I would not recommend it to everyone. There are two major reasons why I have come to this conclusion. The first reason is that this camera does not come at a cheap price. And will not fall in everyone's budget. However, if you even can afford it. Here is my second reason why this camera is not for everyone. Simply, because not everyone will need all the features that come with this camera. Let's be honest, most of us only need a camera so we can take photos and post them on our Instagram. And this camera is made for professionals, not for Instagram photographers. Not every amateur photographer would be able to harness the full potential of this camera. And, moreover, there are much more travel-friendly cheaper cameras that you can look into if you need one for amateur photography.
- Videos up to 24 fps.
- Super zoomed-in photos up to 960 fps.
- 4k video recording.
- 20.1 megapixels lens.
- High shutter speed.
- No pixel binning.
- You can shoot videos at up to 24 fps.
- You can shoot super zoomed-in photos up to 960 fps.
- You will be able to record 4k videos.
- The 20.1 megapixels lens of this camera will help you in shooting detailed photos.
- This camera shoots pictures at incredibly high shutter speeds.
- There will be no pixel binning in super slow-motion videos.
- The camera is not suitable for amateur photographers.
If you are looking for a travel camera and are on a tight budget you might have hit the jackpot with Minolta 20 MegaPixels High Wi-Fi Digital Camera with 35x Optical Zoom. It has everything you want from a travel camera and also comes at sort of a bargain price. To start off, it has a 20-megapixel lens that takes stunning photos and would be able to capture amazing details in the pictures that you will take while travelling. As far as the video recording is concerned. It shoots amazing 1080p videos. However 4k recording would have been better. But, still, most people can do without 4k recording.
Now coming to the zoom capabilities of this camera, you can shoot up to 35x on optical zoom. And thanks to its optical image stabilization, the images do not turn out blurry or too chopped out. And, the decade long problem that people face with cameras is the trouble they have to go through to transfer pictures. However, in the case of the Minolta 20 MegaPixels High Wi-Fi Digital Camera with 35x Optical Zoom, transferring pictures is a walk in the park. You can pair the camera with the device you want to share images with using WiFi or Bluetooth and can transfer images in minutes on the go.
And, there is also a 3 inch LCD which helps you in viewing images that you take, read the menu and do other things easily. If you plan on taking images of yourself on your camera. Then, the face detection feature will make sure that your pictures come out bright, detailed, and your face always stays in focus. Apart from face detection, there are 26 other modes on Minolta 20 MegaPixels High Wi-Fi Digital Camera with 35x Optical Zoom too for you to play with. Like panoramic mode, etc.
- 20 megapixels lens.
- 35x optical zoom.
- Image stabilization.
- WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity.
- Different modes.
- 3 inches LCD.
- You will be able to take detailed images thanks to its 20-megapixel lens.
- You can enjoy up to 35x optical zoom.
- Image stabilization will allow you to take stable pictures.
- You can easily share pictures from the camera using WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity.
- There are many different modes for you to play with like panoramic, face detection, etc.
- The 3 inches LCD will help you in viewing images, menu, etc.
- You would be able to buy this superzoom camera at a bargain price.
- There is no 4k video recording.
Want to move your travel photography to the next level? Panasonic LUMIX FZ300 Long Zoom Digital Camera Features 12.1 Megapixel is the camera to do exactly that. Thanks to its dust and water resistance feature, you can take it anywhere without worrying much about it getting damaged. And, take amazing photos and shoot fantastic videos while you travel. By amazing photos and videos, I mean 4k videos and photos. Yes, you can shoot ultra HD 4k videos and photos with this camera. And, even in 4k resolution, there are three different modes. Each mode allows you to play with the shutter speed.
The DFD technology of Panasonic never lets you lose focus on the subject thanks to its instant focus technology. There is also a one-handed mode in case your other hand is busy. The 12.1-megapixel lens of the Panasonic LUMIX FZ300 Long Zoom Digital Camera lets you take high-resolution photos even in low light conditions. With this camera, you can also take raw images and macro shots.
And to display all the images you take, there is a 3 inch bright LCD that can be titled freely. After you are done taking stunning images, transferring these pictures is always a hassle, but not with Panasonic LUMIX FZ300 Long Zoom Digital Camera. Thanks to its WiFi connectivity feature, you can transfer images to any device through WiFi without going through any hassle.
- 4k photos and videos.
- 3 inches LCD that can be tilted freely.
- Great low light performance.
- Instant focus.
- WiFi connectivity.
- Splash proof.
- You can shoot 4k videos and photos using this camera.
- There is a bright 3 inch LCD that can be tilted freely.
- The camera takes great photos in low light conditions.
- You will never lose focus thanks to its instant focus technology.
- You can transfer your photos and videos seamlessly using WiFi connectivity.
- The camera is splash-proof so you can carry it without much worry.
- The camera is a bit oversized for travelling.
Canon Powershot SX70 20.3MP Digital Camera 65x Optical Zoom Lens is the perfect camera if you want extra zoom. It is 65x optical zoom lens lets you zoom quite far into landscaped areas, marking it easy for you to take pictures of wildlife, the moon, etc. And its 20.3-megapixel lens makes sure that the photos you take have details and are sharp. When it comes to shooting stuff Canon Powershot SX70 20.3MP Digital Camera 65x Optical Zoom Lens not just excels at taking photos but also takes great 4k videos. You can also record 4k time lapse straight from the camera.
One unique feature of Canon Powershot SX70 20.3MP Digital Camera 65x Optical Zoom Lens is that you can turn it into a webcam. By using EOS Utility Webcam Beta Software on Mac or Windows. You can switch Canon Powershot SX70 20.3MP Digital Camera 65x Optical Zoom Lens into a high definition camera and flex the detail in your zoom meetings.
- 23-megapixel lens.
- 65x optical zoom lens.
- 4k video recording.
- 4k time-lapse recording.
- Can be switched to a webcam.
- It has a 23-megapixel camera that helps you in taking detailed images.
- You can superzoom into objects using the 65x optical zoom lens.
- If you plan on shooting videos from this camera, then you are in luck. With this camera, you can shoot up to 4k videos.
- You can record a 4k time lapse using this camera.
- You can use it as a webcam, and flex your co-workers with how good your camera is during zoom meetings.
- Performance is not good in low light conditions.
Buying Guide for the Best Superzoom Cameras
Now that you have gone through the reviews. You are ready now to make a decision. Using the buying guide that I have made. You can choose the best superzoom camera for yourself.
Image quality is one of the first things one should look for when buying a superzoom camera. If the image quality of a camera sucks, you would be in for a nightmare. Usually, image quality is related to the megapixel count of a camera. But, this might not be true every time. So, what I would suggest to you is that you buy a camera with good image quality so you can take good photos with it.
Ease of use
One thing is certain that not everyone buying a superzoom camera are professionals. Most of us just want to show the pictures off to our Instagram followers. And, a typical Instagram photographer does not know how to operate a professional camera. And, spending hours on tutorials is not what you want to go through. In this case, it is best if you buy a camera that is easy for you to use. And the camera is automatic, and not too complicated. In case, you have accidentally bought a difficult operation camera. You can watch tutorials online and learn how to use them.
If you are a travel photographer, the size of the camera you are buying should be a major concern for you. Because if you end up buying a camera that is too heavy. It would be a nightmare for you to carry it around. So, whenever you are buying a camera for taking photos while you travel. Make sure that it is small, lightweight, and easy for you to carry around. However, if you are a professional photographer who will harness the true potential of a huge camera on travel, and have proper bags to carry your camera around. Then, of course, you can buy a huge superzoom camera.
I have compiled a list of the 5 superzoom cameras after taking a lot of things into account. Now it is up to you if you want to pick your superzoom cameras from our list. Or go out and buy yourself one by following our buying guide.
After keeping everything in mind. We have decided to make things easier for people with a dilemma. And decided to give our best from our best picks. In this way, people who can't make a decision would be able to pick the best superzoom cameras without much research. Now, let's look at the products we have chosen.
- Best Overall superzoom camera: Our choice for the best superzoom camera is Sony DSC-HX99 Compact Digital 18.2 MP Camera with 24-720 mm Zoom, 4K and Touchpad – Black.
- Best Budget-Friendly superzoom camera: In our opinion, Minolta 20 MegaPixels High Wi-Fi Digital Camera with 35x Optical Zoom is the best superzoom camera for people on a budget.
- Best Editor's Choice: Our editors loved Panasonic LUMIX FZ300 Long Zoom Digital Camera Features 12.1 Megapixel is the most, and decided to give it the title of best editor's choice.